[SVN] Re: r11568 (ActionScript 3)

bdefore bdefore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 22:10:51 UTC 2009

I'm not a fan of the new unified Build command you've added. I've been using
the Build (mxmlc) option for a long time now and find it better for a few
reasons:

- It pops up an internal TextMate window with compile results. I find this
cleaner than opening another Terminal window.
- It did a better job of finding that where my .bash_profile specifies to
use mxmlc. This current script seems to find my Flex Builder's 2.0.1 SDK and
run with that.
- Customizing project-level build processes could be done before using TM_
prefixed variables. Or, one could edit the Build (mxmlc) command directly in
the bundle editor. Instead, build.rb serves as the build script for all
TextMate projects. And to edit this, you'll need to 'Show Package Contents'
and dig into the bundle itself - the bundle editor does not expose it for
you.
- This one-size-fits-all build script specifies the following switches:

  mxmlc_args="mxmlc -o=#{flex_output} -file-specs=#{file_specs}"

  `osascript -e 'tell application "Terminal" to activate'` unless
ENV['TM_FLEX_BACKGROUND_TERMINAL']
  `#{e_sh ENV['TM_BUNDLE_SUPPORT']}/lib/fcsh_terminal \"#{fcsh}\"
\"#{mxmlc_args}\" >/dev/null;`

This is ineffective because there are some projects where I may want to add
more switches than just -o or -file-specs, without relying on the
AppName-config.xml to do so.

Altogether I don't see the problem this change was trying to solve. What do
you think about keeping the previous build scripts in there for legacy
support?

P.S. A while back I'd written a blog post on how to set up text mate to
compile with the previous scripts here:
http://bcdef.org/2008/05/30/setting-up-textmate-for-swf-compiling-and-terminal-trace-output/
. Unfortunately this will no longer work with the changes of this revision.

• Compressed and rewritten Build commands into a single command.

This implementation is now written in ruby and should behave in the same way
as the previous Build command. Additionally - when running a build using
fcsh and the Terminal the Terminal is activated. To suppress this behavior
set TM_FLEX_BACKGROUND_TERMINAL to anything.