[SVN] Re: r11158 (Subversion)

Joseph Pecoraro joepeck02 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 20:38:09 UTC 2009

This is the perfect opportunity for me to ask about this.
I always thought it would be good to hardcode to the default
system ruby interpreter because you are:

   1. sure that it exists
   2. it is the version that you expect it to be (unless a root
       user changed it).

However, I typically use /usr/bin/env ruby in my scripts.
Are there situations where it is better to use one of these
over the others?

   1. ruby (which may be defined by the user's path)
   2. /usr/bin/ruby (system default)
   3. /usr/bin/env ruby (doesn't rely on the shell to look in path)

I'm not saying Michael's change is wrong, I'm just trying to
understand when to use what!

Thanks in advance,
Joseph Pecoraro