[SVN] Re: Python unicode error

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at je-ju.net
Thu May 1 06:37:53 UTC 2008

Alexander Ross wrote:
> Honestly, I don't know if there IS a good solution.  Python 3 will be
> unicode throughout, so perhaps this problem will be alleviated then.
> I don't really have time to work on this right now though...

The conclusion that we came to is that using utf-8 characters in a plain
string is not right. It sort of "works" when printing, but not when you
try to do anything else with it.

Per Allan's suggestion, we now catch the error and add an explanation of
what's going wrong. That'll have to do until Python 3.0.

Jeroen.