[SVN] r9069 (Ruby on Rails)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Sun Mar 9 06:56:22 UTC 2008

On 9 Mar 2008, at 03:29, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> [...]
> I then reinstalled the getbundles bundle, but it wouldn't offer Ruby
> on Rails as one of the bundles available for installation.

Yes, GetBundle is only for bundles which do not come standard with
TextMate. The reason for this is that by checking out a bundle you
eclipse the default version, and experience has shown us that users
will easily forget all about this local bundle, which will quickly
become outdated.

> So I dragged it out of the Textmate application package, reloaded
> bundles, and now getbundles does offer and can install it, but it's
> only getting version 8876

Yes, GetBundle will not install bundles newer than “your version of
TextMate” since newer bundles may very well rely on new infrastructure
(i.e. the Support library) not part of your installed version of
TextMate.

IOW what you are trying to do is discouraged and unsupported.

If you do want to update a default bundle we recommend that either:

  1. You checkout the full repository _and keep it updated_ -- there
is a good chance newer bundles require newer versions of files in the
Support folder, a newer version of the Dialog plug-in, etc. So it
really is “checkout the entire /trunk, if you want to work with really
cutting edge”, also be sure you set version checks in TextMate to
“Cutting Edge”, as the latest bundles may also require latest (edge)
TextMate.

  2. In some cases, replace the bundle inside the TextMate application
bundle. You will need to do this manually with svn, and this will only
work if the bundle does not require latest version of Support or
PlugIns.

Option #2 _should_ work with the Rails bundle.