[SVN] r6788 (Subversion)

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Thu Mar 22 00:36:18 UTC 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 8:32 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> Anyway, I really really hate dialogs with switched buttons, and the
> better solution is definitely making the operation undoable, as
> Chris suggested -- so how about we copy the file (we are about to
> revert) to ~/.Trash or similar?
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) what about reverting a folder, do we copy the full folder?
> 2) how do you make it obvious to the user that he can undo what he
> just did?

I think those are the least of the problems. I think adding undo for
revert is full of potential peril, because you have to guess what
Subversion is going to do and with what files it is going to do it.
What does Subversion do with a conflicted file, for example? And if
you're wrong (due to either your bugs, Subversion bugs, or changes in
new versions of Subversion), the result is loss of user faith in the
system working properly.

I agree with thomas: you'd want to be able to undo the action from
within TextMate. We'd really want to add an Undo Revert or some
similar item to the menu.

I think one would really want to start such a feature by using the
Ruby bindings to the client libraries rather than the command line
tool, so that there would be a slightly more internal picture of
what's happening. Using the libraries instead of the tool is
troublesome in its own way, though.

Chris