tags instead of categories (was Re: [SVN] New info.plist keys for description etc.)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Feb 18 10:52:24 UTC 2007

On 16. Feb 2007, at 20:25, Chris Thomas wrote:

> For broad categories, for use as the root of a displayed bundle
> hierarchy, the list should be somewhat smaller (and, I think, more
> specific):
>
> applications   -- interfaces to the outside (blogging, web search,
> Terminal, Mail? …)
> build          -- some sort of build system (Makefile, SCons, …)
> file formats   -- data files, not 'markup' (plist, iCalendar, sshd,
> Tabular, …)
> framework      -- a framework (OpenGL, Rails, Django, Qt, …)
> markup         -- markup language (XML, Textile, LaTeX, Markdown,
> tablature, …)
> productivity   -- (GTD, GTDAlt, TODO, Remind …)
> source code    -- programming language (Ruby, C, …)
> scm            -- revision control system (Subversion, CVS, …)
> tools          -- generic commands for text manipulation (Math, …)
>
> That gives you three more categories than you originally listed, by
> breaking out the utilities category into applications, file
> formats, productivity, and tools. I don't think there's value in
> distinguishing marked-up prose languages from markup languages, the
> overlap is too wide.

I committed a tags.plist to the repository with these tags. I will
likely tag the bundles later today, and then we can refine it from
there (I’ll likely do a crude bundle manager mockup so this all
becomes more tangible).

I added four tags to your list:

  web / mac: This might not be useful as a category (well, web is),
but I just think we should tag mac-specific bundles, especially now
that we have Windows editors using TM bundles ;)

  default / recommended: currently a lot of bundles will be tagged
default, but when the bundle manager works, we can make less default,
and more recommended. In a way, the default tag is more for me than
the user (currently I have a fixed list in my checkout script for
when I do builds, but that can be switched to checking for the
default tag), and the recommended is for the lazy / clueless user
that just wants a rudimentary set of useful bundles (I reckon 90% of
what’s currently default will move to recommended).