tags instead of categories (was Re: [SVN] New info.plist keys for description etc.)

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Fri Feb 16 07:24:07 UTC 2007

On Feb 16, 2007, at 2:04 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> I totally agree with Allan's reasons for wanting the categories. I
> would suggest having the categories and bundle browser as described
> above, and for each bundle an array of "keywords", instead of
> "tags" (though I guess there's not much of a difference between the
> two). Somewhere in the interface, perhaps in a second "bundle
> browser mode", the user would be able to search for a specific
> keyword, and get a listing of all the bundles that have something
> to do with that keyword.
>
> But we definitely should have a single category to describe what
> the main thing the bundle does is.
>
> Haris

Right now, there really isn't a point in having anything more than a
basic category per bundle.
Eventually when there are a thousand bundles, it will be necessary to
be able to easily search.

Everyone who uses a text editor knows what they're using it for.
Unless they don't know that the functionality exists at all.

HTML+CSS+JS are all webdeveloper stuff
XHTML & Various javascript libraries are related, but not assumed to
be part of that.

So maybe we should have a subcategory system.
Where you can sort by category, then you have the WebDevelopment
category and right under that the WebDevelopmentExtras category or
something.

Python, C, Ruby, LaTeX, etc... If you have a clue what it is, then
you'll know you want it.

Blogging, Mail, GTD, GTD2, GTD3, GTD-Jr, GTD'd, etc… are all just toys.

Dunno. Just doesn't need to be very complex yet

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors