[SVN] r6982 (Experimental, Ruby)

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Thu Apr 19 22:03:39 UTC 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 2:55 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2007, at 9:00 PM, Thomas Aylott wrote:
>
>> Moved a large number of innocent scopes from Ruby Experimental to
>> Ruby.
>
> Is it this change that has Ruby highlighting a lot more method calls?
>
> I've noticed that I now see highlighting for things like assert,
> valid?, errors, invalid?, etc.  I don't remember these being caught
> by the syntax until recently.  These calls are caught by these new
> rules:  meta.function-call.method.with-arguments.ruby,
> meta.function-call.method.without-arguments.ruby, meta.function-
> call.ruby.
>
> First, just a few questions.  Why are we doing this?  We want to
> scope all function calls to aid in command building?  We want to
> dramatically increase syntax highlighting?  Both?  Something else?
> Just to be clear, I'm not complaining here, yet.  I'm just trying
> to understand the goals.
>
> Second, this definitely changes the behavior of the Ruby grammar in
> places.  For a trivial example, create a Ruby document and enter:
>
>   SomeClass.new
>
> Now if you go into the Ruby grammar and disable the rule
> meta.function-call.method.without-arguments.ruby, the new() call
> will be scoped very differently.
>
> I think we should discuss the goals of this patch and if we are
> achieving them in the best possible ways.  The Ruby grammar is
> quite complex and handles many edge cases.  Making large changes to
> it is pretty risky and should be well planned, I think.
>
> James Edward Gray II

This conversation was handled on IRC.
The consensus was that the new method scopes will be dropped from the
main Ruby syntax.

The current plan is to make these changes, and others, available as
an option in TM2 with scope injection.
Everyone is happy! YAY ME!

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors