[SVN] OCaml syntax highlight SLOW

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Oct 10 01:15:28 UTC 2006

On 10. Oct 2006, at 02:14, Benjamin Ylvisaker wrote:

>> 2.0 will have a somewhat faster parser, until then I am afraid your
>> only options are to simplify the OCaml grammar or buy a faster
>> machine ;)
> Before I dive into TextMate grammar hacking, what do you think the
> likelihood is that the OCaml grammar has some kind of performance bug
> that can be resolved easily?

There is no performance bugs per se in the grammar. And also, the
parsing is asynchronous, so it is not the parsing itself which stalls
TextMate.

Likely it is resolving scope selectors, this is done both when
building the function pop-up and when rendering the text.

The first there is not much to do about, the second might improve if
you disable all the bundles you do not use (so less bundles provide
styles/preferences where the scope selector needs to be compared) --
FYI what’s actually slow here is using the system string class. I am
switching away from that, but not in the 1.5 branch (which is really
just for bug fixes).

Could you btw let me know which machine you have?