[SVN] RFC: async window support for tm_dialog

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 29 00:37:09 UTC 2006

Chris Thomas wrote:
> � This is sufficient for implementing progress dialogs and other
> 'broadcast' information. For two-way usage, there is no way to actually
> retrieve the parameter values from an async window. You would generally
> want to retrieve parameter values on a user action, and there isn't a
> way to perform a callback yet. Perhaps export a new IBAction from the
> File Owner that dumps the parameters to stdout?

So how exactly would a progress dialog work?  Must they be indeterminate
progress dialogs? Because it would be nice to have moving bars sometimes.

> � There's a possibility that windows not attached to a process could be
> orphaned, which would require users to kill the window on the command
> line (if the window doesn't have a close box).

Hmm, there's no way to remedy this?  It seems like the window could do
some error checking itself to avoid this case.

In general, it would indeed be nice to have some callbacks, but I'm not
sure all what is possible.  Instead of just blindly going forward,
however, why don't we try to come up with some use cases, and figure out
exactly which functionality is needed, or would be useful.

-Jacob