[SVN] r6130 (Text)

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Wed Nov 15 02:44:25 UTC 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 5:21 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2006, at 4:07 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
>> I am still not sure I like a dozen lines of Python over egrep, just
>> to get regexps closer to oniguruma, the user is unlikely to use
>> advanced regexp features for filtering out lines, is he/she?
>
> I'm wondering if there's really any benefit to including these at
> all.  I appreciate the work, but Filter Through Command... covers
> these operations and gives the users more power for handling them in
> the process.

I think it's a good idea to include these commands.

• I'm of the opinion that text command parity with BBEdit is a
worthwhile goal. TM should give users the same capabilities out of the
box where reasonable, because it allows us to provide the response 'of
course we do that, go look here' rather than 'no, but you can roll it
yourself using this command line.' The didactic utility of the latter
response is useful, but not necessarily friendly or timely.

• Not everybody wants to drop to the command line to issue a grep
command. For some tasks, that's a lot of mental gear switching
(depending, perhaps, on the the user's proclivity for Unix tools). I
will certainly use the Copy Lines commands in preference to Filter
Through Command... with e?grep for basic filtering tasks.

> I miss BBEdit's search as much as the next guy, but these commands
> aren't it.  ;)

(I miss CodeWarrior's 1.x's search window -- it elegantly combined
multi- and single-file search in a single modeless window. BBEdit's
dialog at that time was still a stationary modal dialog, IIRC.)

Chris