[SVN] r2829 (Ruby)

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 7 06:30:00 UTC 2006

On Mar 6, 2006, at 11:30 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 7/3/2006, at 6:13, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
> The lack of newline might be a problem with the actual thing
> running the unit tests. Could you send me something which show this
> problem?

Could be. This basically happens to me in any Rails project, when I
run any unit test from within TextMate. I can send you a package of a
sample rails project, but there's really nothing special about it,
just a couple of assert_equal calls. The output from them is
formatted reasonably well, but not as well as when run from the
terminal. Just create a test class with two tests in rails that fail,
and run them via ctrl-R. Come to think of it, any Test thing would
work. Here is an example, that actually froze RunScript command:

class Testing < Test::Unit::TestCase
   def test_one
     assert_equal true, false
   end
   def test_two
     assert_equal false, true
   end
end

> Previously though there was the problem, that things which spawned
> a new process, would not have the output from that process shown
> with escaping < and & (entity) escaped, and also someone mentioned
> lack of wrapping.

Ah, that seems to have been fixed

>> On an unrelated note, I've noticed a plethora of very similar
>> snippets in the Rails bundle. Might I suggest we pack them into
>> single commands like we did in the LaTeX bundle? At least for the
>> official version.
>
> I am not sure what the activation scheme should be, and if you can
> deduce the content alone from the abbreviation.

I am thinking of the various snippets. Right now we have:
3 render_component snippets
5 redirect_to snippets
2 verify snippets
5 link_to
19 (!) render snippets
7 migration
6 test_assert
10 validates_

All these could be done with one command, just like we've done with
the "Create environment based on current word" command in LaTeX. In
fact, probably that command can be used almost verbatim, apart from
changing the dictionary used and simplifying it a bit.
The only disadvantage is that they will not triggered by tab anymore,
but by another combo, which will admittedly give them a certain
individuality. I'm more in favor of keeping repository bundles as
clean as possible, especially when we can accomplish essentially the
same functionality.
Just my 5c.

> The various Go to … commands though could likely use $TM_SCOPE to
> decide what action should be taken. And the ERB snippets should
> probably be moved out of the Rails bundle.

Haris