[SVN] Improving the smart typing behavior

Mietek Bąk mietek at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 01:09:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

Again, this is directed primarily at Allan, but I'd like to hear your
comments.

I like snippets with default values, because they give me a feeling
for the layout (yes, thank you, Infininight).  I'm also really used
to replacing selected text simply by overtyping it with new text.  It
happens quite often that I try to replace a selected placeholder with
something starting with a character that's the first half of a smart
typing pair (such as '(', '[' or '{').  This results in the
placeholder text getting surrounded by the smart pair, and the
selection getting lost, because the insertion point is moved after
the second half of the smart pair.  It's extremely annoying, because
I can't even undo this without breaking the snippet behavior!

I propose a modification to the smart typing behavior.  When there is
an active selection, typing the first half of a smart typing pair
should surround the selected text by the smart pair, and retain the
selection.

This can already be accomplished somewhat by creating a snippet bound
to '(', etc., containing:
	(${1:$TM_SELECTED_TEXT})
Unfortunately, this breaks the other niceties of smart typing, such
as the overtyping of the second half of the smart pair, and so isn't
really a solution.

--
(desp)