[SVN] Punctuation Scope

thomas Aylott oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Fri Aug 18 22:47:49 UTC 2006

On Aug 18, 2006, at 5:26 AM, Michael Sheets wrote:

> There's been talk for a while now about making a new punctuation
> 'root' scope for any/all punctuation that isn't specifically
> something else (not an operator, etc) I've been working out the
> scope list and have been passing it around on IRC, now it's time to
> get feedback from the list. It's meant to be a pretty exhaustive
> list; no real 'other' section but several scopes that are pretty
> 'loose' in definition, so should be able to adapt to any situation,
> hopefully. Mentally go through the languages your familiar with to
> see if it does, etc.
>
> http://pastie.caboo.se/9181
>
> Comment time :)

This is going to take me some time to think through. I'll be
commenting more about it soon.
But, no. I don't think this list is good enough.

"punctuation.separator" and "punctuation.delimiter" are a little
blurred together.

Let's call something that…
• … is wrapped around something a 'delimiter' () {} [] <> <% %> <%= %
 > "" '' `` ‘’ “” /**/
• … goes between stuff a separator ,.;:|

I like terminators. .;!?

"punctuation.delimiter.assignment" isn't really punctuation. It's
certainly not a delimiter.
Getters and setters like == || && = != in javascript should be
'keyword.operator's, not punctuation. That includes the assigner in a
key/value relationship. (EG: => in ruby, : in javascript objects,
etc...)

thomas Aylott—subtleGradient

thomas Aylott
subtleGradient