[SVN] Punctuation Scope

Michael Sheets mummer at whitefalls.org
Fri Aug 18 19:50:33 UTC 2006

> First real feedback - I think punctuation as a name is confusing,
> in that this is primarily clearly for symbols in programming and
> markup languages.  How about making it "symbol" (or somesuch) instead?

It might not be the most syntax-ally exacting but symbol for instance
has other meanings, especially in Ruby. Punctuation should be pretty
clear for everyone what it is.

> Followup question - These items run over a fairly large range of
> uses.  Since tope level scoping is primarily (at least currently)
> used for determining coloration, is there a reason you would want
> this entire range colored in a unified way?

Punctuation was designed to be like meta, not really meant to be
directly colored. Which is not to mean it can't be; but I wouldn't
expect there to need to be default colors for each second level
scope. Here the basic reasoning is to break them into logical groups
simply to be easy to figure out the scope you want from.