[SVN] Release Note Additions

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Aug 15 05:07:34 UTC 2006

On 10/8/2006, at 17:52, Chris Thomas wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2006, at 11:29 AM, Michael Sheets wrote:
>>> Not sure I agree. If the release notes need further filtering, I
>>> think they should be sorted by bundle, perhaps with some kind of
>>> folding markers.
>> Well the important thing to note here is that everyone using the
>> main app which are the notes it drowns out. And also to note that
>> most users aren't running cutting edge; so they can have many
>> versions worth of release notes to read each release. If we keep
>> going as we are they will easily have 200+ messages of bundle
>> changes alone.
> I think TM already has that problem to some degree.

It does -- marking things as NEW/FIXED/CHANGED was a half-hearted
attempt to solve this, so people could ignore FIXED.

> I find that sometimes the app notes are numerous enough to drown
> themselves out. Maybe what's needed is a separate 'highlights'
> list, which would be limited to editor features, new bundles, and
> truly momentous changes in old bundles.

I have sort of considered the svn log for bundles the “all the
details” and only envisioned new bundles or important new
functionality in bundles, as belonging in the application release
notes -- fixes in bundles should not (unless it’s somehow important,
like “fixed the embedded source scope to not include the tag in HTML”.)

So I am gathering that ideally I should provide an easy way for users
to see per-bundle svn log, and then we could reserve the [NEW] etc.
tags in the svn log for the new and interesting stuff -- someone also
mentioned only showing (to the user) changes in bundles he has
actually enabled, which is a good idea, but then of course, the
release notes can’t really be shown just as plain text (but could be
a command of some sort, and TM could just auto-run that after updating.)