[SVN] XHTML syntax suggestion

Max Williams max at machinate.org
Tue May 3 09:52:10 UTC 2005

Hi,

Firstly, I hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes by making suggestions
about how a syntax might be created, but I would love to help in its
evolution.

I've been thinking about the proposed xhtml syntax, and a few ways it
could be made to represent the structure of the relevant dtd. ie
include allowed elements etc.

Would it be possible to name scopes based on the captures, and then
include the relevant attributes (this is mainly directed at Allan).
eg:

begin = "<(foo|bar)";
end = "(\\s*/>|</\\1>)";
name = "keyword.markup.element.{capture1}.xhtml";
patterns = {
	include= "{capture1}.plist";
};

in the capture file for that tag could be required/allowed attributes
and elements that are allowed within it.

Also, as far as I can see, there is no easy way to tell if something is
missing, eg a highlight an image tag that doesn't have an "alt"
attribute.

regards,
Max