[SVN] HTML highlighting in PHP strings

Max Williams max at machinate.org
Sun May 1 23:54:13 UTC 2005

Hi,
I was doing a bit of experimenting with the php syntax today and had an
idea about a possible improvement.
Most strings in php are going to become html when printed, so why do
they lack syntax highlighting as php strings?
I changed the behaviour of strings in my local copy so that it includes
text/html.
In the theme editor I put the brightness up and saturation down to make
it more muted, and the effect was very nice, it was good to have tags
underlined etc.

The thing is, that out of interest I typed <? into my string to see
what would happen, and rather unsurprisingly Textmate crashed with:

*** graph path stack full: 28+4 (6, 8)
bits used: 28

in my console, I guess it got in some sort of loop.

However, the highlighting was quite helpful until it exploded, and I
wondered what others might think about trying to introduce this kind of
thing on a less precarious way.

Another idea I had would be to include source.css property-list into
the value part of the html 'style' attribute, to make that colourized.

Maybe these are rather gimmicky proposals, but Textmate seems to have
the potential to do this kind of thing, and I think it would be useful.
I'd be interested to hear what other people think.

regards,
Max