[SVN] Revision 784 (HTML)

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Sun May 1 11:06:56 UTC 2005

On 30 Apr 2005, at 09:45, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> The CSS (PHP) is already gone. The HTML (PHP) is a bit different
> from HTML (Basic) in that it only highlights all known (lowercase)
> tags and known (lowercase) arguments.
>
> There are other subtleties, like more SGML stuff in HTML (Basic)
> and markup of invalid ampersands and angle brackets, but that's
> easy to merge. The thing about tags is not.
>
> I think Mats wanted to also do an XHTML bundle/syntax, and that's
> probably (IMO) what the HTML (PHP) should evolve into. Having the
> syntax only markup correct (XHTML) tags/arguments is very nice, but
> not very practical for all-around use (e.g., try to open ~/Sites/
> index.html).

Yes, Allan remembers more than me :). The HTML (PHP) syntax was
always a short-term item to cater for my (and others ?) styling while
doing web dev stuff in TM. I deliberately tried to make it XHTML
compliant - still needs more work - rather than HTML capable. It was
meant for dev's like me, and not for general consumption.  Although
we will have to be able to highlight old bad HTML I think that's the
job for a simpler generic HTML syntax.

And Yes, the now mainly defunct HTML (PHP) will become the XHTML
syntax as and when I have the time to do so. In the mean while I will
leave it in place, if that's OK.

Not being a programmer code guru like the rest of you guys, I think
that HTML is slightly outside of all other languages, in that there
are so many versions of it, and all of them allow slightly different
syntaxes which makes things more complicated, at least in my mind.

> I can extend the firstLineMatch so we can get to the DOCTYPE and
> choose syntax like that. I suggest changing the syntax to something
> like: “lineMatch[n]”, where n can be a number, a range (0-3), or
> maybe even * for “all lines”.

I may have misunderstood the value of the firstLineMatch thing, but I
don't think it will work within the scope of HTML as well as it will
do in .sh files.

Kind regards,

Mats

----
"TextMate, coding with an incredible sense of joy and ease"
- www.macromates.com -