[SVN] Naming the svn diff commands

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Jun 2 17:12:01 UTC 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 18:22, Chris Thomas wrote:

> (2) Torsten and I arrived at these command names after several
> iterations. The problem is that almost anything can be
> misinterpreted, and terminology isn't really standardized across
> version control systems. Prior to renaming, 'Working Copy' was
> 'Last Update', but this proved confusing. Better suggestions are
> certainly welcome.

Okay -- I do remember the thread, but at that time I didn't use svn
(at least not as much as now), so I didn't participate ;) the svn in
TM is btw really great! it has definitely helped me do smaller
checkins (more often) due to having easy access to status + diff (and
of course the actual commit window).

> (3) HIG: menu items should be capitalized.

Well, they should be title-case. And in Apple's definition of that
[1] coordinating conjunctions are lowercased. Though I was never
taught English grammar, so I don't know if “with” is considered a
coordinating conjunction.

I have however ignored this for a lot of items and went with sentence
casing instead, since in particular snippets do not follow the
general menu item naming rules very well (i.e. they are not actions).
This of course has led to much inconsistency (especially since I'm
only the author of 2% in the repository ;) ). Maybe there should be
some guidelines wrt naming items. AHIG would work for commands.

[1] http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/
Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGText/chapter_13_section_3.html#//
apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-TP30000365-BABDIBBH