[SVN] Naming considerations for language elements/rules

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Wed Feb 23 19:55:54 UTC 2005

On Feb 23, 2005, at 19:48, Chris Thomas wrote:

> [...] Put another way, if I have both “strings” and
> “strings.double-quoted” specified in a style sheet, wouldn’t
> “strings”  have the same precedence as “string.double-quoted”?

Yes, that's the essence of the problem, that currently precedence is
only based on which components in the “context path” the selector
matches, and not the length of each individual string match.

> If that's true, then we probably need to revisit a lot of the keyword
> naming.

Okay, I'll take the length of each string match into consideration (as
a tie-breaker) -- mainly my reason for avoiding this was because it
wasn't clear to me how I could calculate a score in isolation for a
match which would then work when compared with the other scores. But I
think I have the formula for that now :)