[SVN] Bundle commit 179

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Wed Feb 2 20:10:09 UTC 2005

On Feb 2, 2005, at 20:18, William D. Neumann wrote:

>> The choices I make are primarily intended to group with similar
>> elements in other languages [...]
> Actually, most of them were pretty similar.  I just wondered if I
> would be violating some unwritten rule if I stuck with some of my
> earlier choices.

I assume Chris'es post answers it, but just for the records, the names
need to be “standard” to make customization/style sheet binding
easier/possible (which is currently not an available feature, but will
soon be).

Chris, I think keeping the language name explicit in the syntax files
rather have TM add it makes sense, because it allow for more
flexibility (e.g. if you want to “fool” it) and is also more
transparent. TextMate will however add “.$” to each name, that way one
can match:
    sourcecode.c.$    // only C
    sourcecode.c.*    // all below C, including C

And when typing this identifier, “.*” should probably also be implicit,
so generally one would just do:
    sourcecode.c      // all below C, including C

And speaking of the above, I want a root-level identifier for each
language. Since the top level name has previously been used as the
display name, the top level element name needs a different key IMHO, I
suggest just using 'scope'. Although I _really_ would prefer name... I
guess we could use name and add a displayName for each of the
languages, it wouldn't really break anything, and displayName would
just default back to the name... yes, I think this will be the way!

About the actual (non-display) names: OS X does have universal type
identifiers (UTI) but I haven't found much info about these. If you go
to Xcode settings where you can configure an external editor, it should
be using UTI's here, but I really do not like/understand their
hierarchy, so maybe we should just ignore these and use our own system.

For top level we could use sourcecode, text and markup. I'm not sure
how to tackle the next part, mostly I'm thinking of C which is:

    c.source
    c.header
    c++.source
    c++.header
    objectice-c.source
    objectice-c.header
    objectice-c++.source
    objectice-c++.header

And in most cases, one want the same style/settings for all these, so
they should have a shared parent, but one level below sourcecode
preferably.

So maybe (not sure if the header/source distinction needs to be made):
    sourcecode.c
    sourcecode.c.objective-c
    sourcecode.c.c++
    sourcecode.c.c++.objective-c