[SVN] r2362 (Latex)

Brad Miller bonelake at mac.com
Sat Dec 3 20:01:38 UTC 2005

On Dec 3, 2005, at 1:37 PM, William Neumann wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2005, at 9:09 AM, Brad Miller wrote:
>
>> I am strongly in favor of keeping ctrl-< at least for the
>> environments.  I like the fact that it is consistent with html.
>> Since environments are analogous with begin/end tag pairs using
>> the same key combo makes sense to me.
>
> And this means nothing to people who rarely do any HTML work.  At
> least in HTML, < is a sensible keystroke, as it's what's used to
> indicate the start of a markup tag.  What's wrong with Cmd-\?  The
> \ is a stroke that's prevalent in Latex, and a quick check of the
> keyboard shortcuts in Textmate shows it to be free...

I agree that cmd-\ or even ctrl-\ makes logical sense.  I find \ to
be a difficult key to hit consistently. One of the reasons I like the
snippets in the LaTeX bundle in the first place is because I can
avoid typing \ but maybe thats just me... ctrl-\ would be easier on a
regular keyboard, but cmd-\ would be easier on a powerbook

Earlier, on IRC we were talking about breaking up the "Insert
Environment/Command based on word" command into two commands.
    1. Insert environment based on word would create new environments
    2. Insert command would create LaTeX commands based on the word
just typed.  This command would support two varieties of commands
(configurable through a TM_xxx environment variable) One is a simple
\word command and the other is \word{args} command.

We never reached any firm conclusion about the keybindings these
things should get.  We were talking about leaving #1 bound to ctrl-<
#2 we talked about ctrl-space (realizing that some QS users may be
unhappy) or ctrl->

If we went with your suggestion we could do:
#1 (ctrl/cmd)-shift-\
#2 (ctrl/cmd)-\

Brad