[SVN] r2362 (Latex)

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 2 20:19:05 UTC 2005

On Dec 2, 2005, at 11:37 AM, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> I was not the one responsible for removing all the individual
>> environment snippets, but I have to admit that I welcome it, in
>> favor of the centralized command. The LaTeX bundle had a bit out
>> of proportion, so what I propose is we keep the LaTeX bundle as
>> simple as possible, but offer a "professional LaTeX" bundle with a
>> whole lot more snippets, or we just let people customize it
>> themselves.
>>

> It was a collective effort which we discussed on IRC with allan and
> some others.

Hm, maybe I should listen to the IRC.... Anyway, it's nice change, I
like it. If only we could find a good trigger for it...
> However, after putting this to actual use, I found that the itemize
> snippet is really indespensible and cannot be replaced with the
> "magic" command, without creating a kludge.
> Instead, I recreated the itemize snippet, placed the first tabstop
> on "itemize", so that it works equally well for enumeration,
> description, and whatever other itemize environments you might need.

Sorry, I don't see what the universal command can't do. It is now
triggered on item and enum, it's easy to add your own shortcuts to
it, and it should be trivial (planning to add it by tomorrow) to have
it produce the first \item thingie on selected environments, or even
\question and \part thingies on the exam environments. This way you
could easily set it to use another environment variable, so people
can add their own extra initial stuff for any other commands we might
not have predicted.

I have nothing against introducing an individual itemize snippet, but
I am not sure what it buys you that can't be done by adding two more
lines of ruby code to the universal command (other than not being
triggered by tab any more, which I admit does bother me a bit.)

Hm, maybe I can make the universal command so universal, that I won't
need any other snippets in the LaTeX bundle, then I can bind it to
tab... :-) Maybe I'll make it do my thesis for me at the same time...

Seriously, any ideas for a better trigger? Pressing ctrl-< is very
cumbersome, and so unintuitive unless you are coming from HTML.
> Jeroen.

Haris