I had this for ages and it was frustrating.
I did isolate it by reducing the number of Bundles enabled, severely.
I enabled have less than half of the bundles that TextMate actively knows of.
The cause is absolutely in a bundle, but I do not know which one.

On Mar 2, 2017, at 11:15, Graham Heath <graham.p.heath@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Ed, All,

None of my previous theories worked out, but I think I’ve had a break through on this.

I can trivially reproduce it now by switching between iTerm2 and TextMate, very quickly. Finder might work too, but I’ve been using iTerm. The key seems to have less to do with which app, and more to do with how fast. My machine is slow which may make the problem worse.

What I do know is if I reset my configs to their defaults (by removing ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate), this problem is eliminated. Adding folders back one at a time TextMate still works until I add the Session/Info.plist back.

I’ve attached my info.plst and made a video of what I see while I’m working on this; https://youtu.be/C0nyIr5_dTQ

Ed, does removing this file do anything for you?

Everyone; Does this make any sense? Does anyone know where to begin solving this bug? I sure don’t.


Graham Heath

On February 15, 2017 at 7:48:39 AM, Ed Wong (scampy@me.com) wrote:

Graham, I don’t have Diff Gutter enabled, just the standard line numbers, folding arrows, bookmarks in the gutter.


On 14 Feb2017, at 3:56 PM, Graham Heath <graham.p.heath@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the answers. What all is happening here is still a mystery but I’ve got an update;

I’ve now had 24 hours without incident. My current theory is this relates to SCM Diff Gutter, as after disabling it I haven’t seen the issue, but thats just a theory. I’m re-enabling Emmet today, and I’ll add my linters tomorrow.

Ed, do you have SCM Diff Gutter, or anything adding icons to your gutter?


Graham Heath

On February 10, 2017 at 9:08:03 PM, Ed Wong (scampy@me.com) wrote:

1: have more than a few TextMate windows or tabs open?

Usually many windows with many tabs. Some windows are minimized (those that I’m not actively working on at the moment).

2: have a customized window bar title?

Yes - full document path.

3: have expensive to render documents?

A few files with > 5000 lines but generally < 1500 lines of PHP, ObjC, HTML, JS or CSS. Some customizations done to PHP bundle and Mac Classic theme.

4: SCM integration?

Git on some projects.

Hope this helps.


On Feb 10, 2017, at 5:33 PM, Graham Heath <graham.p.heath@gmail.com> wrote:

This continues to happen to me a few times a day, exclusively in TextMate. Some days are worse, maybe better after a reboot, but thats not for sure.

Some more theories for you Ed, and anyone else :)

Do you …
1: have more than a few TextMate windows or tabs open?
2: have a customized window bar title?
3: have expensive to render documents?
4: SCM integration?

Here’s what I’m thinking _might_ be happening for each of these. Hopefully one of these sparkles for someone.

1) TM is confused about what tab / window should have focus, and fails to pick one.
2) I have a pretty complex stack of replacements to build my window title, perhaps one of these replacements has a edge case that causes an error
3) TM may be selecting the right tab, but the selection doesn’t happen in a reasonable time and aborts
4) The timing between focus and TM failing to select a tab seems related to when the title bar updates when SCM is working

I’ve been experimenting with disabling plugins and add ons. Today I’m going to try disabling the SCM plugin :( 

If that doesn’t work I guess I’ll build TM and see what I can find. Short of building it, there’s not a way better debug this issue, is there?


Graham Heath

On February 1, 2017 at 7:05:23 AM, Ed Wong (scampy@me.com) wrote:

Hi Graham,

My TM setup is pretty basic. No plug-ins, Shell Support installed, Git support sometimes depending on the project. 

I think Allan may be right though as I’ve seen this behaviour with Safari and Finder as well so it could be an general OS issue.


On Jan 31, 2017, at 10:23 PM, Graham Heath <graham.p.heath@gmail.com> wrote:

Allan, I’m sorry to say, that this is behavior that I associate with TextMate, not the os at large. I will keep an eye out for it and let you know if I change my mind. But, as you’ll see below, I don’t really blame your code either, I’m just wondering whats causing it. Its so erratic that its probably not something simple.

Jacob, Ed, and others; Do you have any plugins? I haven’t done the full reset, but I have disabled things that I feel might be offending. Its too early to say, but I wonder if a plugin might be triggering when the app gets focus, but something isn’t going quite right.

Tossing this on the pile; I’m using a early 2013 mbp that does seem to have issues with apps hanging or freezing fairly often, so maybe whatever’s causing that, is causing this.


Graham Heath

On January 14, 2017 at 11:44:42 PM, Allan Odgaard (mailinglist@textmate.org) wrote:

On 14 Jan 2017, at 5:54, Graham Heath wrote:

> I’m regularly experiencing a bug where TextMate seems to receive 
> partial
> focus. The title bar will appear to be selected, but the tabs never 
> come
> into focus […]

This issue has existed with macOS for as long as I can remember, and I 
have seen it for other apps as well, though it is visually much more 
obvious with TextMate because of the tabs bleeding into the title bar.

I do not think the issue is with any of my code, since window management 
is not the responsibility of the individual app and I am not aware of 
code in TextMate that could affect this.