I think that would feel a little awkward and it seems like the project browser is getting more and more complex already. I don't think there's really a problem with popping it up like it is now, i just think it needs some tweaking maybe.
A few suggestions for Go to File and Go to Symbol:
* remove the default window title bar (close, maximize, etc buttons), as I wouldn't think they get used much as it is
* make it default to popping up in the center and maybe like 25% from the top (maybe have an option in prefs to remember window location Alfred does this and it seems to work well)
* tweak the overall style a bit, maybe make the font in the file list a few points bigger
As I was writing this I was testing/thinking about how "Go to File" currently works and I noticed the little arrow on the right, which at first I thought was just taking up space, but it actually switches to "Go to Symbol" for the selected file. I think that's pretty handy, and I didn't even know it was there. I couldn't figure out if there was a keyboard shortcut for it, if there isn't, seems like based on that icon, maybe just using the right arrow on a selected file would be good? If there already is a keyboard shortcut, what is it, because i'd love to use it.
Also, it seems like there was a blog post or something on the mailing list a while back about how the tabs work at the top of the "Go to File" window, but I can't find it for the life of me, so if anyone has that link, or wants to explain, that would be most helpful.
On Aug 31, 2012, at 2:51 AM, Elia Schito wrote:
I agree, maybe makes sense to move it in the project browser space…
Il giorno giovedì, agosto 30, 2012, alle ore 11:30 pm, Travis Dunn ha scritto:
Just an idea, maybe it's like this for a good reason, but it's always bugged me that the "Go To" windows just float around. I can see a few reasons why it's awkward (at least for me):
• if you're using multiple displays the "Go To" windows can end up opening on a different display than the actual textmate window you're calling it from, this seems to be inconsistent amongst them though
• if you have multiple projects open, the "Go To" position is shared, so if you move it over to the current textmate project window that you're working with and then switch to the other project, the "Go To" window will be in its last location
• in general it feels like it brings you out of the interface the way they are implemented now
Not like there are "bugs" or real problems with it, but i do feel like interface wise, it's a little clumsy. Thoughts?
textmate mailing list
textmate mailing list