[TxMt] Re: overzealous Quick Look behavior

Christian Rosentreter karibu at gmx.net
Sun Mar 25 20:08:55 UTC 2018

I personally "quick look" a lot of things too (though Textmate is usually running anyway.) But
there are two general problems with TextMate's QL behaviour… I'm not sure those are TextMate's
fault or limitations of Mac OS X.

* It cuts off files at a certain amount of lines. This wouldn't be so bad by itself, but there
  is zero visual indication that the displayed text is cut off (something like a special coloured
  ellipsis symbol at the end, or something)

* if the system is under load (say something else, e.g. a raytracing application, is using 100%
  CPU) I only get the spinning indicator in the QL window and it never manages to actual display
  the text. It is as the TextMate QL generator runs with such low priority it doesn't get a share
  of CPU by the OS. Other file types (images, even videos) don't seem to share the same problem.

> On 24 Mar 2018, at 2:49 AM, Marc Wilson <posguy99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have to disagree.  No reason to load the editor, and have to kill it, vs just using QL.  Further, I keep TM on its own desktop.  Having the desktop switch to the TM one, just to view a file, is counter-productive.  Plus, it doesn’t switch BACK.
>
> --
> Marc Wilson
> posguy99 at gmail.com
>

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018, at 5:16 PM, Carpii UK wrote:
>> I just don't use Quicklook at all (or if I do, I've invoked it by accident).
>>
>> For TM I think it makes even less sense.
>> It loads almost instantly, and it takes less tie to open a file in TM, then close it compared to using quicklook and then clicking 'Open in Textmate'

[cut]