[TxMt] Re: open file NOT into tab of existing window

Michael Sheets mummer at whitefalls.org
Fri Apr 13 11:19:15 UTC 2018

On Apr 12, 2018, at 3:30 PM, Matt Neuburg <matt at tidbits.com> wrote:

> I'm sure there's some simple way and that this has been asked and answered before: How do I ask TextMate _not_ to open a new file into a tab of an existing window, but rather into a window of its own?

I think the best way to explain how to work with the issue is to learn how TextMate treats windows and projects. Then you should understand why TextMate sometimes opens a document in a tab vs a window.

So firstly in 2.0 everything is a project, in 1.x this wasn’t the case as a project was a specific thing that was created. When you open a directory in TextMate that becomes the project, if you open a file in a window by itself it’s parent directory becomes the project directory for that window. The project determines where Find in Project and Open Quickly search along with other features. It is also the directory that many bundle items will use as the working directory, etc.

Now if you open a file the already opened projects are checked, if the file is contained within that project it is opened as a tab in that project to help group and organize your work area. If the file is not contained in an open project it gets a new window and becomes a project itself.

If your getting a case where you are seeing all documents opening in a single window this is likely because you have a window with a very high project directory. Like if you open a file that is in the root of your documents folder then any file in that folder will open in that window even if it is a few levels down in the hierarchy. This can also happen if you open a file in the root of your home folder. Check if this is the case in the window you are having an issue with and either close that window or reset the project directory lower down by using the path menu at the top of the file browser (It offers the option to set the current directory as the project directory).

--
Michael Sheets – MacroMates Support

Tip of the Day: Use ⌃⌘T (control-command-T) to see a list of currently available bundle items, start typing to filter the list.