[TxMt] Re: tm_query --setting fontName

Wed Jul 12 20:48:30 UTC 2017

On 12 Jul 2017, at 17:22, じょいすじょん wrote:

> The defaults keys you provided also do not exist by default on my
> system.

Correct, this would only be if the user has explicitly changed the
default fixed width font.

> Core Text and AppKit are both kind of vague.
> The solution there seems to be to start with a font and apply the
> fixed width trait to get a descriptor for a font that comes close to
> matching somehow (who knows how? personal taste?) or present a UI and
> let a user select something. Still does not give a default does it?
> How loopy these APIs can be :(

`NSFont` has a method to return the default fixed width font, from
Python you can use this code to obtain it:

     #!/usr/bin/python
     import objc
     from AppKit import NSFont

     font = NSFont.userFixedPitchFontOfSize_(0)
     print("family: %s, name: %s, size: %.1f" % (font.familyName(),
font.fontName(), font.pointSize()))

On my system it prints:

     family: Menlo, name: Menlo-Regular, size: 11.0

I deliberetly hardcoded the shebang to call `/usr/bin/python` as PyObjC
(the Cocoa bridge used here) may not be installed for a custom python on
the user’s system.