[TxMt] Re: tm_query --setting fontName

Wed Jul 12 14:43:07 UTC 2017

On 3 Jul 2017, at 23:07, じょいすじょん wrote:

> Setting or variable 'fontName' not found
> […]
> Is there a modern alternative to fontName?
> Or, even better, a reference for that and other keys?

There is no good solution for this.

The `tm_query` tool is simply reading your various `.tm_properties`
files (including the `Default.tmProperties` included with TextMate) and
returning the requested value (or exiting with a non-zero return code if
not found). So there is no fixed list of keys.

Originally the `Default.tmProperties` file had a setting for `fontName`
but because Apple has changed the default fixed width font, it wasn’t
good to put a hardcoded name in `Default.tmProperties` (since TextMate
should default to the fixed width font that is default for the user’s
OS version).

I am not sure for what the TextMate Jedi Completion bundle uses the font
name, but it will need its own fallback, incase `$TM_QUERY` exits with a
non-zero return code.

You can hardcode the fallback as `Menlo-Regular` but technically the
user can override the system’s default fixed width font using the
`NSFixedPitchFont` user defaults setting.

This can be obtained using: `defaults read -g NSFixedPitchFont`

The default size can be changed using the `NSFixedPitchFontSize` key.