[TxMt] Re: Bundles & Commands Questions

じょいすじょん dangerwillrobinsondanger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 08:18:49 UTC 2017

Thanks to all, especially Jacob, for sharing these.

(without checking source code) It looks like these correspond to Objective-C delegate style callbacks.

I think these and some description of their semantics would be fabulous on the wiki or in the manual.
Bonus points for reference to default bundles' items that use these so people can see an example of any in use.

The Commands really really do take everything to a higher level and start making things magical!

It might also be really fabulous to know if any of them have any API contract of sorts.
Like:
  "don't do this horrible thing when using this semantic-selector"
  "a script should finish quickly or it will block the UI"

This kind of documentation will most definitely bring people back.

I keep trying Sublime, and it doesn't fit my brain, and the colors are off somehow (very irritating to me).
I keep trying Atom every few months, as it advances, but as much as they do cool things, it's still really running in Node under Electron, and everything is in a web page where the UI and keyboard shortcuts end up written by Windows programmers.

They've borrowed a lot from tm bundles, but missed out some of the great stuff too.
Github even bases MOST of its syntax grammars off of the default tmbundles' grammars.

From that experience, I can say I am sure the other component is having a killer way to manage bundles.
Right now it's not terrible, but it can be better.
I do feel bundle management needs to have the following things made simple and easy.
Export
Share
Sync
Working Sets
Security
Bundles need to be able to be limited somehow based on various criteria, like network location and password/keychain or something.
Bundles need some sort of signing to avoid somebody slipping in some nefarious things.
Market? If TM could ever go to MAS, they could be IAP, but it might be great to have a bundle market.
True plugins or xpc connections?
Lastly, I would still love to see a full blown editor for themes. I miss the old simple one, but would love to see a big one.
(and none of the competitors do transparency like TM can :) )

What are the thoughts out there?