[TxMt] Re: Wrong comment for jbuilder - Partially answering own question

Sun Oct 16 11:49:34 UTC 2016

On 15 Oct 2016, at 1:33, Greg wrote:

> Comment for jbuilder should be a #, but TM is putting a double slash.
> The files are Rails apps/views/<view>/xxx.json.jbuilder .
> […]
> Can I change this? If so how?

Comment characters are based on the `TM_COMMENT_START` etc. environment
variables.

If you use Bundles → Select Bundle Item… (⌃⌘T) and switch to
settings, then you can enter `tm_comment` and see the current values for
these variables.

These would normally come from bundle settings items.

> Change file type to Ruby. Probably was JavaScript automatically.
>
> Did I change it to jS or is that something TM does.

On a clean install of TextMate, opening `foo.json.jbuilder` will treat
it as plain text.

If you change the language (via the status bar) then TextMate will
remember this binding, and the default comment characters will follow.

Normally it should only be necessary to set `TM_COMMENT_START` etc. if
you want to override the default for the language, so simply setting the
proper language (ruby) for `jbuilder` files should be enough.

Alternatively, you could put something like this in `~/.tm_properties`:

	[ *.json.jbuilder ]
	TM_COMMENT_START = '# '

But the best is to just bind `jbuilder` files to the proper language and
rely on the defaults.