[TxMt] Re: Gutter and status bar customization

Tue May 31 08:33:44 UTC 2016

On 30 May 2016, at 16:43, Erik Seres wrote:

> Is there a way to fully turn off the gutter?
> Is there a way to theme the gutter?
> Is there a way to customize the gutter and only show the line numbers
> but not the fold markers, for example.
> Is there a way to customize what is shown in the status bar, for
> example, to remove the record button? (I know the full status bar can
> be turned off with a ‘default’ command.)
> Is there a way to fully turn off the “control bar” at the bottom
> of the file browser?

How to change colors for the gutter is in this release note entry (it is
set in the current theme):
https://github.com/textmate/textmate/blob/master/Applications/TextMate/about/Changes.md#2012-09-09-a9303

Other than that, no customization possible beyond hiding status bar and
hiding line numbers in the gutter.

> If the above are not currently possible, are there any plans to add
> support for such? Also, is the application architected in a way that
> (some of) the above would be straight forward to implement? If so, I
> would be willing to do it.

The gutter, status bar, and file browser action bar are all
self-contained NSViews, the two last ones use system controls placed via
auto-layout. So should be fairly easy to at least change them, though
making them user-customizable really depends on what you have in mind
there.

The gutter view has a generalized system for columns and the current
code used to hide line numbers should be easy to apply to other columns.

I don’t really have any plans for adding customization options to
these controls, though I acknowledge that since line numbers can be
hidden, the other columns should probably also have a visibility toggle.
Though I do wonder what the issue is with these columns that make some
users want to hide them. Is it just that foldings are not used and thus
the column takes up unnecessary space?