[TxMt] Re: watch command for LaTeX bundle

René Schwaiger sanssecours at f-m.fm
Tue Mar 8 06:34:44 UTC 2016

Hi Kyle,

> On 07 Mar 2016, at 15:32 , Kyle Johnson <kbj at linguist.umass.edu> wrote:
>
> I’ve never gotten the watch command to work in the LaTeX bundle, and I’d like to see if I can’t troubleshoot it. I’m running OS 10.11.3 and TextMate 2 beta .9. I typeset through the ps->dvips route. When I run the Watch Document command I get this error:
>
> The command `osascript -e tell application "XQuartz" to launch' failed (error code 1).
>
> Can someone point me to the next step?

if you translate a document via the engine `latex`, then “Watch Document” uses `gv` as previewer. Since `gv` is an “X.org” programm, you first need to install “XQuartz“ [XQuartz] for this to work. After that, install `gv` via “Homebrew” [Homebrew]. Just open Terminal and paste the following two commands:

    brew tap homebrew/x11
    brew install gv

After you followed the steps above, you can test your setup. Just paste the following text:

%!TEX TS-program = latex
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}
Hello, World!
\end{document}

into a new TextMate document, save it as `test.tex`, and invoke “Watch Document”.

[XQuartz]: http://www.xquartz.org
[Homebrew]: http://brew.sh

> Thanks,
> Kyle