[TxMt] Re: disable atomic saves?

Fri Jun 3 09:03:06 UTC 2016

On 1 Jun 2016, at 14:15, Carpii UK wrote:

> Maybe 20% of the time I save, I then suddenly get the 'Atomic Save
> Failed,
> Resource Busy' error from TM

The error text is probably a little misleading, because it’s really
TextMate’s “swap and unlink” that fails, and this function tries
to do an “atomic save” using whatever means the file system offers,
i.e. exchangedata() on a local file system, rename() on a non-local
system.

To get the exact error, try enable logging and see what it says:
https://github.com/textmate/textmate/wiki/Enable-Logging

Though my guess would be that rename() fails.

In this case though, are you able to run this in a terminal:

    mv .tm_properties~ .tm_properties

Or does that also fail with resource busy? And if it fails, does this
work:

    rm .tm_properties && mv .tm_properties~ .tm_properties

The latter is not something TextMate currently do, but if that works for
you, it could fallback to that when rename fails, as we already have
ensured the data is on the disk (just under a wrong name), so there
should be no data loss issue by removing the original file.