[TxMt] Re: disable atomic saves?

Carpii UK carpii.uk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:15:09 UTC 2016

> On 24 May 2016, at 7:40, Carpii UK wrote:
>
> I think it may be somehow related to atomic saves, so Id like to disable
>> those (given that I still have git to protect any aborted writes)
>>

> What is using the files in your virtual machine? I’m assuming that it’s a
> web server, so sounds more likely that this is “locking” the files
> (caching?) which Samba translates to “resource is busy”.
>
> Next time it happens, instead of restarting your Samba service, try
> restart anything that uses these files to see if that solves the problem.
>
> Not saying it’s a better fix, but understanding the problem would be first
> step in finding a solution.

It appears to be the samba daemon itself which is locking the file.

Today I've been editing .tm_properties and have been getting the error
regularly
During normal operation, smbstatus shows a single lock on it as expected..

$ smbstatus | grep tm_prop
19518        1000       DENY_NONE  0x20081     RDONLY     NONE
/www/nodechat   .tm_properties   Wed Jun  1 12:25:27 2016

Maybe 20% of the time I save, I then suddenly get the 'Atomic Save Failed,
Resource Busy' error from TM

When this happens, I notice there are be two locks for .tm_properties
appearing in smbstatus
At this point any further attempt to save the file just fails, and a new
lock for .tm_properties~ is created every time I attempt to save

$ smbstatus | grep tm_prop
19518        1000       DENY_NONE  0x20081     RDONLY     NONE
/www/nodechat   .tm_properties   Wed Jun  1 12:25:54 2016
19518        1000       DENY_NONE  0x20081     RDONLY     NONE
/www/nodechat   .tm_properties   Wed Jun  1 12:26:05 2016
19518        1000       DENY_NONE  0x20081     RDONLY     NONE
/www/nodechat   .tm_properties~   Wed Jun  1 12:26:05 2016

$ ps aux | grep 19518
nodechat 19864  0.2  0.6 396620  6516 ?        S    12:21   0:00
/usr/sbin/smbd

Not sure what to make of all this, but perhaps someone who is more familiar
with samba has some ideas?

Thanks