[TxMt] fatal error: 'CommitWindow/CommitWindow.h' file not found

Kevin accounts at osteoboon.com
Wed Feb 10 15:01:36 UTC 2016

Hi All-

TextMate looks terrific! Thanks Allan for making it available under the
GNU General Public License! I installed the binary and it works for me,
but I'd like to build it from source, and I'm having a bit of trouble
with that.

At https://github.com/textmate/textmate I see the following instructions:

==============
In the simplest case you would run:

$ git clone https://github.com/textmate/textmate.git
$ cd textmate
$ git submodule update --init
$ ./configure && ninja
==============

I did all the prerequisites using homebrew without apparent problems:

==============
$ brew install ragel boost multimarkdown hg ninja capnp
google-sparsehash libressl

$ brew install proctools
==============

But the last step in building TextMate (./configure && ninja) fails for
me with:

==============
[445/1150] Compile ‘Applications/commit/src/commit.mm’…
FAILED: xcrun clang++ -include
/Users/alpha/build/TextMate/Shared/PCH/prelude.mm -c -pipe -fPIC
-gdwarf-2 -m64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.7 -funsigned-char
-D'NULL_STR="\uFFFF"' -DREST_API='"https://api.textmate.org"' -Wall
-Wwrite-strings -Wformat -Winit-self -Wmissing-include-dirs
-Wno-parentheses -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-switch -IShared/include
-fcolor-diagnostics -DNDEBUG -Os -DCOMPILE_DATE=\"`date +%Y-%m-%d`\"
-fvisibility=hidden -std=c++1y -stdlib=libc++ -fobjc-abi-version=3
-fobjc-arc -fobjc-call-cxx-cdtors  -o
/Users/alpha/build/TextMate/Applications/commit/src/commit.o -MMD -MF
/Users/alpha/build/TextMate/Applications/commit/src/commit.o.d
-I/Users/alpha/build/TextMate/include Applications/commit/src/commit.mm
Applications/commit/src/commit.mm:1:10: fatal error:
'CommitWindow/CommitWindow.h' file not found
#include <CommitWindow/CommitWindow.h>
         ^
1 error generated.
[445/1150] Run test ‘/Users/alpha/bu...TextMate/Frameworks/scm/test_scm’…
==============

It's strange because the reportedly missing file is apparently present
(if not exactly where ninja seems to be looking for it):

==============
$ pwd
/Users/alpha/sources/textmate
$ find . -name "CommitWindow.h"
./Frameworks/CommitWindow/src/CommitWindow.h
==============

I didn't think I would need to set any of the variables:

=================
    builddir — location of built files. Defaults to ~/build/TextMate.
    identity — for Apple’s codesign. Defaults to ad-hoc signing, which
does not use an identity at all.
    boostdir — location of boost includes. By default it will search
various locations including MacPorts and Homebrew.
    sparsedir — location of sparsehash includes. By default it will
search various locations including MacPorts and Homebrew.
    CC and CXX — C and C++ compiler.

so I didn't, but maybe I need to set boostdir manually?

Any advice on this, or is this a bona fide bug in the build process
(seems unlikely)? I've never filed an issue in github. Is that how I
would go about reporting a bug?

Thanks!

Best,
Kevin