[TxMt] Re: UI blocked while running command with “Output: Discard”

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Aug 7 19:25:52 UTC 2016

> On 07 Aug 2016, at 13:29, Stefan Daschek <stefan at daschek.net> wrote:
>
> Right, but for this to work the command needs to run with the correct
> Ruby version (maybe a project specfic one set via RVM and rbenv), and
> this version may not be compatible with TextMate’s Ruby API, meaning the
> command can’t use all the nice things like `TextMate::Executor`).
>
> Also, for some cases (eg. running rspec in a Rails project using the
> Spring preloader) running the executable via a binstub (if present) is
> even more performant than requiring it directly in the command.
>
> But I think this discussion belongs into
> https://github.com/textmate/bundle-support.tmbundle/issues/20 :-)

That’s some good points.

> Good point. On the other hand, this other bundle has not been included
> in TextMate’s “official” bundle index so far (it can’t be installed from
> Preferences → Bundles), so we could also try to freshly create the new
> shiny ultimate RubCop bundle ourselves :-)

Sure, but I think we should try avoid spreading ourself too thin. There’s already more than one RuboCop bundle. It’s always fun to create a new project, but it’s usually the last 10%, to take the project across the finish line ,that are the most time consuming and not the most fun part.

> I tend to prefer the solution with a dedicated bundle for running RuboCop anyway :) Only problem I’m having with this right now is the duplication of the “find and run the right rubycop executable” logic between the two bundles. That’s why I suggest a dedicated API for this.

Make sense. There are two different use cases here. The PR for the Ruby bundle is about formatting Ruby code and one can argue that RuboCop is used for that is only an implementation detail and therefore is better suited in the Ruby bundle.

--
/Jacob Carlborg