[TxMt] Git interactive rebase

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Oct 16 19:31:24 UTC 2015

I've been thinking for a while that it would be nice to be able to do an
interactive rebase from within TextMate.

I tried to come up with an idea of how the UI could work. One idea that
comes to mind is to use the log. I imagine there would be some form of
buttons (edit, squash, ...) for each commit and one "global" Start
Rebase button. Ideally it should be possible to use keyboard shortcuts
as well, arrow keys for selecting a commit and E, R and S for commands
like edit, reword and squash.

The question now is, is it possible to use the HTML output view for
something like this, or would a proper UI be required? That is create a
UI in TextMate rather than in a bundle command.

The second question I have, does anyone know if it's possible to set
which commits to edit, squash and so on, before starting an interactive
rebase? Usually a text editor opens and the users selects the commands
after starting the rebase. Perhaps using libgit2 if not through the
regular command line interface.

What would also be a nice feature, or rather a shortcut of the above.
Placing the cursor of a line you would like to edit, execute a command
(via a keyboard shortcut) which basically does a "blame" and figures out
the last commit that touched that line. Then it would start an
interactive rebase and select "edit" for this particular commit.

Thoughts?

--
/Jacob Carlborg