[TxMt] Re: [Bug] Ellipses ('…') being saved as '‚Ķ'

Wed Oct 14 12:04:58 UTC 2015

On 14 Oct 2015, at 18:19, Kalcifer Kandari wrote:

> Bugged: xxd '/Users/user/test.txt' > '/Users/user/xxd'
> Not bugged: xxd '/Users/user/test2.txt' > '/Users/user/xxd2'

These files are identical.

> After closing and opening 'test.txt' again and clicking 'File -> Save
> As…' turns out the encoding is 'Chinese - GB18030', even though the
> encoding is set to 'Unicode - UTF-8' in the settings.

The settings is for what new files should be saved as.

Did the file you test only contain the ellipsis, or did it also contain
other text?

> What may have happened is that documents were being created by
> something other than TextMate with 'Western (Mac OS Roman)' encoding,
> but when opened with TextMate, it was not converting them to UTF-8
> properly, or detecting that they had a different encoding. TextMate
> should detect the encoding

It does what it can to detect encoding, which is pretty difficult, which
is why it shows a sheet and asks the user to confirm the encoding for
anything but ASCII/UTF-8 or text with byte order mark or extended
attribute that specify the encoding.

> and when saving should either convert to whatever the 'Preferences'
> encoding is, or save in the same encoding the file was originally
> opened in.

It uses the encoding the file was opened in, and for new files, what is
set in preferences.

> Attempted to replicate the bug with documents created in TextMate but
> couldn't. Created a document in another application with UTF-8
> encoding, and then opened and saved in TextMate with the same encoding
> and it saved properly.

OK, so right now you are unable to reproduce any bug in TextMate related
to encoding?

I assume your previous instructions (below) where missing something.