[TxMt] Re: Cancelling a multiple selection?

Wed May 13 13:40:47 UTC 2015

On 13 May 2015, at 15:30, Tom Smyth wrote:

> Is there a key for this? I know you can go to the start of the line or
> up
> depending on the type of selection but that requires a certain
> cognitive
> overhead in my experience and it would be so much easier to have a
> single
> consistent key that cancels it and returns to the original single
> selection. Is there one that I don't know about?

There is no key for this, but a mouse click will do, or the up/down
action (as you mention).

The problem is finding a good key, i.e. will you remember something like
⇧⌘⎋ or just do the up/down when you want to go back to a single
caret?

Though with the existing convention of single-tapping option to toggle
selection type, and with Apple’s introduction of double-tapping fn for
dictation, perhaps double-tapping shift could work.

I wonder though if it should just “pop” the last selection, this
would then also work as an undo for ⌃W (select next word) which is
sometimes requested. But it might be a little tedious if you have many
carets/selections.

Input?