[TxMt] Re: Tapping option key for column selection - broken?

Fri Jun 26 14:09:56 UTC 2015

On 25 Jun 2015, at 20:01, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> That's sort of the notion I've been hinting at too. I don't quite see
> why there can't be a normal keyboard shortcut with the meaning(s)
> involved here. m.

The functionality can be bound to another key, see
https://github.com/textmate/textmate/commit/980b0b9796b828539f3a4956aa16fd104908437f#commitcomment-11805161

The reason I picked double-shift here is that we are in the selection
realm. We select with shift and arrow keys, we use option to change the
selection type (columnar), so it didn’t seem too far fetched to then
use double-shift to deselect, as it’s somewhat symmetric with shift
for selecting (and we’re more or less out of regular key shortcuts).

But I am sympathetic to the arguments raised in this thread.

Binding actions to single/double-tap of modifiers is however not code
that is currently suitable for being parameterised (user configurable).

So for now I think double-shift should remain the default (hardcoded).
The chance of clashing should be low, since double-shift in TextMate
only has meaning when there are multiple carets/discontinous selections
(or a freehanded caret). The most likely issue is that a global action
will eclipse TextMate, in which case the user will have to manually bind
the action to another key, if they need the feature.

But down the road, binding actions to modifiers could maybe be exposed
to the user, or, if anyone has an unsolvable clash with the current
hardcoding, I can add a setting to disable double-shift.