[TxMt] Re: Tapping option key for column selection - broken?

Mon Jun 22 12:24:24 UTC 2015

On 19 Jun 2015, at 16:18, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> Nor could I, but I do it by Option-dragging. What I'm talking about is
> double-tap-the-Option-key to convert a normal selection into a column
> select.
>
> I'm not saying this is bad; I'm just saying watch out (or warn users
> to watch out), because playing with this feature can cause a
> system-level feature to kick in. m.

I wasn’t aware about the system shortcuts so I appreciate the
information.

The option key is unlikely going to clash (it’s btw just a single
tap), even for people who have the accessibility feature enabled.

The shift thing could in theory clash, in that someone with the feature
enabled, using TextMate’s double-tap shift to deselect last (as well),
and wanting to quickly deselect the last 3 selections made, which would
be 6 consecutive taps of shift, which would then toggle sticky keys.

In practice though, it seems that TextMate’s use of shift clashes with
Launchbar, which I am told defaults to use double-tapping shift as
it’s activation key.

I haven’t yet decided what should be done about this.