[TxMt] Re: How to use TM/TM2 as an external editor to TeXShop?

René Schwaiger sanssecours at f-m.fm
Mon Jul 20 15:49:10 UTC 2015

Hi Martin,

> On 19 Jul 2015, at 16:26 , Martin Wilhelm Leidig <listwatch at moss.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> Hi *,
>
> I’d like to use TM and TM2 (or at least one of them) with my custom TeXShop engines.  By  including a shebang-like line in the first line of the input, e.g.,
>> ---
>> %!TEX TS-program = pdflatex
>> ---
> one tells TM to use pdflatex; but there is no way to tell it to use, say, my ho-dtxmk engine (which processes DTX files using Heiko Oberdiek’s (ho) extracting/documentation wizardry).
>
> So, is there a way to have TM[2] run TeXShop as the typesetting engine when I push Cmd-R instead of running the tex binaries directly, thus functioning as the external editor in TeXShop?

yes. Just use the following bash code to tell “TeXShop” to typeset the current active file in TextMate:

#!/bin/bash

filename=`basename "${TM_FILEPATH}"`
osascript <<EOF
  tell document "$filename" of application "TeXShop" to typesetinteractive
EOF

This code assumes that you already opened the file with “Open for Preview” in TeXShop beforehand! If you ticked the option “Configure for External Editor” in “TeXShop” then just use “Open” instead of “Open for Preview”.

I attached a bundle that contains a command that contains above code. Just double click the bundle to install it. After that:

1. Open the file you want to typeset in “TeXShop” as described above
2. Open the same file in TextMate
3. Hit `⌘R` to typeset the file with “TeXShop”

> Regards from Ladenburg,
>
> -MWL-
> --
> Martin Wilhelm Leidig, SatzTeXnik — Dante e.V. #1580
> Professional TeXing and TeXnical counselling

Kind regards,
  René