[TxMt] Re: Block Caret for writers (not only for LaTeX)

René Schwaiger sanssecours at f-m.fm
Mon Jul 20 14:26:55 UTC 2015

Hi Rasmus,

> On 17 Jul 2015, at 21:05 , Rasmus Malver <rasmus at malver.dk> wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> You inspired me to use TextMate for LaTeX, but I quickly stumbled into known problems that have been discussed here since 2007. First I needed kpsewhich. So I installed the newest lightweight MacTeX from tug.org. Now TextMate can Typeset & View (PDF), but not Watch Document. The prompt is Error: Failed to compile document. Screenshot attached.

actually we expect that you use the standard (full installer) of MacTeX. It looks like the MacTeX version you installed does not include `latexmk` — the tool “Watch Document” uses to translate a file. That's why you get the error code 127 which states that the command `latexmk` was not found on your system. My current plan is to add `latexmk` to the list of required commands for “Wach Document”. This means that TextMate will show an easier to interpret error message, if it did not find `latexmk` on a system, in the future.

> The most recent guide to using TextMate for LaTeX I can find is from 2010, and it talks a lot about “things to come”. Is there anything newer?

The help document should be a good starting point. Just click on the menu Bundles→LaTeX→Help.

> E.g. for TextMate 2 on Yosemite :-)

Hope I could help. If you have any additional questions, then please feel free to ask.

> Cheers,
> Rasmus

Kind regards,
  René