[TxMt] Re: Markdown Here for current Markdown bundle

Martin Kühl martin.kuehl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 11:39:34 UTC 2015

On 5 July 2015 at 11:39, Angelo Varlotta <angelovarlotta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like I would need to make/find a specific tool for Markdown Here, and
> have the current Markdown bundle use that. I've been browsing through the
> Markdown Here Github code but I don't see how to implement it in TextMate.
> Could you be more specific on what I would have to do?

What you need is a command-line tool that can convert your preferred
markdown dialect into HTML.
“Markdown Here” doesn’t seem to provide such a tool, only browser extensions.

I recommend you choose a dialect and tool that supports it.
The common ones seem to be be [MultiMarkdown][1] and [Pandoc][2].
You can find out about their respective dialects [here][3] and [here][4].
Both of them support diffent kinds of tables,
and there is a [comparison][5] available.

[1]: http://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/
[2]: http://pandoc.org/
[3]: http://fletcher.github.io/MultiMarkdown-4/syntax.html
[4]: http://pandoc.org/README.html#pandocs-markdown
[5]: https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/wiki/Pandoc-vs-Multimarkdown

You would then install the tool you chose(via MacPorts, Homebrew, or manually;
Pandoc provides an [installer package for OS X][6])
and set TM_MARKDOWN to its full path, e.g. `/opt/local/bin/multimarkdown`,
or to that path to a script that calls the tool with your preferred
options, like

    #!/bin/sh
    exec /usr/local/bin/pandoc --from=markdown "$@"

[6]: http://pandoc.org/installing.html

Alternatively, you could request such a command-line tool from the
“Markdown Here” authors.

Hope that helps,
Martin