[TxMt] Re: mystery of the open tabs

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Fri Jan 9 18:29:21 UTC 2015

> On 28 Dec 2014, at 23:36, Matt Neuburg wrote:

>>> The project folders that open empty: Were they closed with open tabs? Were they renamed/moved?
>>>
>>> If a project folder open empty, if you open some tabs in that window, close the window, and re-open the folder, does it remember the open tabs?
>>
>> No, it doesn't. That's the point. I've made a movie! Here it is:
>
> Can you try run this command in terminal:
>
>   sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/RecentProjects.db 'SELECT key FROM kvdb WHERE key LIKE "%ios7bookshorter%"'
>
> This should show if there is any session info for folders with ‘ios7bookshorter’ in the path.

There is _not_. Now that you've given me this magic command to play with, I tried also this:

gromit:~ mattneuburg$  sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/RecentProjects.db 'SELECT key FROM kvdb'
/Volumes/jansen/Users/mattleopard/anger/Word Process/web sites/albumsite
/Users/mattneuburg/anger/Word Process/web sites/maryBrownWebSite/marybrownsite
/Users/mattneuburg/anger/Word Process/web sites/apethWebSite/apeth
/Users/mattneuburg/anger/Word Process/web sites/fionaSite/fionasite
/Users/mattneuburg/desire/ruby/rubyFrontier related/rubyFrontier
/Users/mattneuburg/Desktop/Testing
/Users/mattneuburg/anger/Word Process/web sites/blogSite/blognew
/Users/mattneuburg/anger/Word Process/web sites/emperorWebSite/site

The ones listed are the ones where tab contents are remembered. My two books, where tab contents are forgotten, are missing.

Could it have something to do with characters in the path?  I see from the above that spaces are okay, so that can't be the problem. But my books are O'Reilly books so they are in a folder whose name contains the word "O'Reilly". Could it be that TM does not like the apostrophe in the pathname?

> Lastly try remove ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/RecentProjects.db and see if it fixes it. If it does, please send me the old file for further diagnosis.

Tried that; it didn't magically change anything. I guess I was wondering whether there might be some hidden preference that could account for this behavior, but I take it that there is not. I'm leaning towards the apostrophe hypothesis! :) m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 8! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920034261.do