[TxMt] xml tidying and folding

Alan Harper textmate at alanharper.com
Tue Aug 25 04:41:02 UTC 2015

I haven't used Textmate for editing a programming language in such a long
time, that perhaps I am confused, but....

I wanted to edit a kml file generated by Google Earth. Kml should format as
xml, right?

I see  this post
<http://textmate.1073791.n5.nabble.com/XML-block-folding-bug-td9215.html>
from 2007 saying that the open/close doesn't work if the end tag is not on a
separate line--unacknowledged and (seemingly) unfixed.

And as a variation on that bug report, I see that the following code also
doesn't open/close. If you fix all the indentations by hand, then it does,
but, surprisingly to me, tidying the code doesn't make any changes.

This is all in service to trying to edit a giant kml file from Google Earth.
On this file, folding is not working correctly, and tidying the code changes
the folding (still incorrect, but different).

I am beginning to think that I can't easily edit a kml file in TextMate,
because without folding, it is nearly impossible to figure out where blocks
start and end. (The file is well over 32,000 lines long).

Any thoughts before I give up?

I did download the kml bundle, but it doesn't help.