[TxMt] Re: jump back to previous location

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Mon Sep 22 17:52:49 UTC 2014

> I think the feature requested here is a bit fuzzy.

[..]

> My interpretation of Gerd’s request (from earlier) is that each time the caret moves more than a line (after an edit), the position is added to the stack. But I am not sure if this would be a satisfying heuristic. There should probably be some collapsing of locations based on distance/within the view port.
>
> Gerd: If you do have a clear definition of how it should work, please let me know.

Certainly a fuzzy feature... Back then on small screens it was basically "moved more than a line". Now with large windows, it is trickier to find a good metric. Distance in the view port seems to factor in.

Maybe this would work: still record every change in position that is more than a line, but then when going backward/forward in the history discard positions that are currently visible. Of course this may be too much, so it might need to be more like "visible and not more than y lines away from current cursor position".

And I do think the "jump buffer" should span all files, not be limited to the one currently viewed. So say I work in file x, now go to look at something in file y (or even edit there) and "jump back", it should jump back to file x (even if I closed it!).

And to add extra bells and whistles, there'd be an (optional) visual navigator that shows previous edit locations with context!

Gerd