[TxMt] Re: Bug in enclose selection with multi-key characters using US-International keyboard layout

Eduardo Francos efrancos at efrancos.com
Fri Sep 19 14:16:00 UTC 2014

> On 17 Sep 2014, at 13:11, Eduardo Francos wrote:
>
>> When using the US-International keyboard layout, if you want to enclose selected text with quotes, single quotes or back-quotes by typing them, the originally selected text is deleted.
>
> I have both the ISO and ANSI US/international keyboard, and I can type all of the following quotes without using dead keys: ‘…’, “…”, "…", '…', and `…`.

My bad. I forgot I had installed the US International PC layout years ago using one that implements the Windows US International layout logic for diacritical characters. Apple's own US Extended layout does not have this problem. I may even switch to it, thanks for the tip.
But that still leaves other layouts with diacritical accents.

>> A really insignificant bug, I know :p and I can certainly live with it, so this is mostly for information. It's good to know someone knows it's there :-)
>
> I fear it would be rather complex to do a workaround for this because we would need to delay overtyping a selection when we detect the user starts a complex input sequence, and for most users I imagine this would be undesired (not seeing the selection immediately overtyped).
>
> I think it’d be fair to say that characters used for auto-pairing have the same limitations as characters available for key equivalents, where your issue also exist, i.e. you can’t bind a menu item to characters that you cannot type with a single key sans modifiers

Seems reasonable. As I said the issue is insignificant and I, as probably others experiencing this problem, have long since learned ways to overcome it.

Regards,
Gualo